New school year brings new senators

Natasha F.

Co-presidents Ian N. and Liam M. lead the student senate assembly.

Alice B., Staff Writer

Student Senate is the student democracy at the American School of The Hague. Each year, students from each grade give a speech to explain what they plan on doing and why and their peers elect four of them. Senators are here  to make ASH a better place. They listen to their classmates, go to weekly meetings and try to make improvements. 

Matthew W. has been at the American School of The Hague for eleven years and is currently a freshman. He has had some experience of student senate during middle school because of color house. 

“I would like to find an alternative to paper straws because they become soggy and taste bad. Furthermore, I could answer any questions students have about what is going on in Student Senate,” said Matthew.

I am a firm believer that we, as students, should know what things happen at our school and why”

— sophomore Vasco C.

Vasco C. has been at the American School of The Hague for 12 years and just started tenth grade. It is his first time being part of Student Senate although he was a student representative back in seventh grade. 

“I would like to bring high school through things like the newspaper and giving more advisory time, so that it may better our communication and the way the school interacts with students. I am a firm believer that we, as students, should know what things happen at our school and why,” said Vasco.

Maja M. has been at the American School of The Hague for almost four years and is now a junior. She decided to sign up for Student Senate because, according to her, it is a great experience and she wants to be apart of changing the school for the better. Some of her ideas for this year include making the American School of The Hague more inclusive and open up advisory time.

“I want to make our school more environmentally aware by creating a news outlet on the bulletin so people can become educated on the current crisis. I would like to create some sort of study zone for the juniors (similar to the seniors) as we are also starting the IB, AP and/or ASH courses that are challenging and stressful and I think it is only fair that we also have a place to relieve some of that stress,” said Maja.

Marc B. has been at ASH for one year and he just started his senior year. He has been on the disciplinary committee at his previous school. 

“I want to add a weekly optional wellness activity that anyone in High School can join as I feel like the one week of wellness is not enough. In addition, if anyone comes to me with an issue or proposal, I’d listen,” said Marc.