High School Reviews: Top Movies of 2019

Did you finish watching all the movies you wanted to? Are you out of inspiration as to what movie you should watch next? This is what you were looking for: a ton of ideas!

Image credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)

Alice B., Staff Writer

Two weeks ago, a survey was sent to high school students to know what movies they enjoyed watching. The results were rather stereotypical, yet very diverse and interesting.

A lot of girls seem to enjoy the genres of comedy and romance whereas boys are more into action but also comedy. Opinions vary but there is a common theme in those responses; entertainment and emotions. Movies trigger emotions and keep people entertained in so many different ways.

“I think comedy movies are a good way to keep everyone entertained; no matter their preferences everyone can come together. With dramas, they are often really emotional and powerful and make me cry,” said a senior girl.

“I personally get the most entertainment form the exciting aspects of action movies as well as the funny, entertainment aspect of comedy movies,” said a junior boy.

A couple students also enjoy science fiction due to the reality that is reflected through them but also because of the fact that you are transported to a completely different world and thus, can forget about reality. 

“Scientific fiction and fiction/fantasy in general stirs my imagination. I love being transported to a different world. When you are in a different world you tend to forget the troubles and stress you have in the real world,” said a sophomore girl.

“Science Fiction is very fun to watch and there is some connections based on science, which makes it more real,” said a sophomore girl.

A couple students enjoy watching movies because of the questions they raise and the fact that they can be relatable to a lot of us.  

“I like comedy because it’s something that is enjoyable throughout the movie, and I like the drama because it (at least in high quality movies) often discusses and reflects upon complex and relatable ideas that make you think,” said a sophomore girl.

“I like movies that raise questions of morals/humanity but could hang back and enjoy some good action/excitement too,” said a senior boy.

Now, the moment you have all been waiting for: movie ideas! There were a lot of movies that have been mentioned but the most repeated ones were: Interstellar, The Notebook, Forrest Gump, Gladiator and Zodiac. These are classics but worth watching!

If you are interested in short sagas, the most popular movie series were: Divergent, Mamma Mia, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings and John Wick.

Finally, if you are more into long series, you should watch these classics: Harry Potter, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Avengers, Twilight, Fast and Furious and Pirates of Caribbean.

You may have seen all these movies and if it your case, they are definitely worth watching again and shared with friends and family. Have fun!